Title: A Discovery of Witches / Shadow of Night / The Book of Life
Author: Deborah Harkness
Pub Date: 2011 / 2012 / 2014
Pages: 688 / 630 / 608
ISBN: 9780755374045 / 9780755384754 / 9781472214584
“It begins with absence and desire.
It begins with blood and fear.
It begins with a discovery of witches.”
Instead of reviewing the final book in what has become one of my favourite series of ALL TIME, I have decided to review the entire series, as a whole.
This will be a pretty short review, simply because all I can say is that it is impossible to describe how incredible these books are. All I can say is go and read it now.
Put your book down and pick up Deborah Harkness.
- It has witches in it (title sort of gives that away).
- It deals with vampires and other creatures in a non-teenage YA sort of way (think more Interview with a Vampire than Twilight).
- It’s written flawlessly, and will constantly keep you on your toes, awake at night, and generally incapable of doing anything until you’ve finished the entire series.
- Phillipe ❤
- There are no love triangles, or silly heroines who doubt themselves for half the book. The women in this book are pretty bad ass!
- There are hilarious references to the Twilight Saga (yes, we loved it, but no, not all vampires are like that!).
- You’ll travel to different counties and different times.
- You’ll meet a bunch of awesome people, as well as some pretty awful ones.
Basically, if you like witches, vampires, time-travel, romance, drama, brotherhoods, history, magic… or just a bloody good series – you need to read this!
Seriously why are you still here?